Some information about me
My research, inter-disciplinary in nature, emphasises the interaction of economic, technological, and cultural processes and is focused on:
- Extra-parliamentary social movements;
- Media aesthetics and the sociology of the book;
- Marx, Marxism and communism;
- Deleuze and Guattari;
- Class composition and autonomism;
- Social and cultural theory, in particular poststructuralist approaches to minority, class, community, and economy.
I am currently working on an empirical study of the values, publics, and aesthetics of independent political media. A recent article from this project is available here: www.socialtextjournal.org/journal/issue103/
Refereed Journal Papers
Infrastructures of Social Change
A study of the material culture of independent media, concentrating empirically on nine media projects at the intersection of politics and art practice.
Cultural Values and Politics: Social Cohesion and Expertise
A study of the material culture of self-published print media, media objects whose material properties problematise the conventional image of political communication and act as points of...
Mon, Oct 24th 2011 - Fri, Nov 4th 2011
An online conference bringing together researchers in the US and UK who work on the material culture of the book and publishing.