Some information about me
I am a member of CRESC Theme 3: Governing Cultures: Cities, Policies, Heritage. This links to the following research projects:
Difficult Heritage: Negotiating the Nazi Past in Nuremberg and Beyond
How does a city deal with a legacy of perpetrating atrocity? What happens when that history becomes heritage? What difference does the materiality of historical remains make?
Selected relevant publications
- Difficult Heritage: Negotiating the Nazi Past in Nuremberg and Beyond, London: Routledge, 2009
- ‘Reassembling Nuremberg, Reassembling Heritage,’ Journal of Cultural Economy 2, no. 1-2, 2009: 117-134
- ‘Mediating heritage: tour guides at the former Nazi party rally grounds’,Tourist Studies 6(2), 2006: 119-38
- 'Words in Stone? Agency and Identity in a Nazi Landscape’, Journal of Material Culture, 11(1/2) 2006, pp.105-126
- ‘Undesirable heritage: historical consciousness and Fascist material culture in Nuremberg’, International Journal of Heritage Research, 12(1) 2006, pp.9-28
Memorylands: European Heritage, Global Heritage
Memorylands is focused on questions of memory and heritage complexes in Europe and draws partly on my research in Germany, including Jena and Berlin, as well as earlier and ongoing research in the UK, especially Scotland and northern cities Key areas include industrial heritage, everyday life, ethnography and the city.
In March 2010 CRESC supported a workshop that I organised called Making European Heritage and the inaugural lecture of CHIMERA – Cultural Heritage, Identity and Memory Research Area – that I co-founded and co-run.
Relevant publications and lectures
A further dimension of this work is the globalization and transnationalization of heritage. I plan to extend this is future research in China, especially Beijing.
- ‘What role do museums play in the globalization of culture?’ introductory essay, London Debates, 2009
- ‘Memory, materiality and tourism’, in B.Braasch (ed) Major Concepts in Tourism Research – Memory, CTCC Research Papers, 2009: 3-11
- ‘Cosmopolitan Heritage: placements and displacements’, keynote lecture at Globalized Heritage, Department of Anthropology and ethnography, University of Aarhus, 2008
- ‘Museum Europe. Negotiating heritage’, Anthropological Journal of European Cultures, Vol.17, 2008, pp.47-65
Refereed Journal Papers
Sharon Macdonald (2008), 'Cosmopolitan Heritage: placements and displacements', available at Cosmopolitan Heritage.